Game is really sluggish after 3.1.6

Moderator: ok666

Arkintoofle
Scoreville-User

Game is really sluggish after 3.1.6

Post by Arkintoofle »

Topic says it all, really. The game was perfectly smooth with version 3.1.0 and earlier, but after 3.1.6 everything is really sluggish. This includes fades when moving around, and of course the videos themselves. We're talking 5-10 frames per second at most when running with the window maximized, with a little more variation when running it in default size. Something must have changed between these versions to have this happen, but I have no idea what.
ok666
Scoreville-User

Re: Game is really sluggish after 3.1.6

Post by ok666 »

What hardware do you have? The following is a shot in the dark, I removed the blur effect on the background image. Maybe that's what sluggish for you.

http://www.fastshare.org/download/SV_20160205.zip
Arkintoofle
Scoreville-User

Post by Arkintoofle »

That seemed to improve things a bit, but it's still more sluggish than it used to be. My hardware shouldn't be a problem, considering I'm using an Intel i7 with more RAM than I know what to do with and a Geforce 780.
ok666
Scoreville-User

Post by ok666 »

The thing is: I don't understand it. Up until christmas I used a very old Core2Duo with 2.4 GHz and GeForce 560 without any problems.

In addition to the blur effect on the large background image (every location) we introduced the snow animation, which could slow things down. But the snow flakes aren't present while playing videos.
Jiggle
Scoreville-User

Post by Jiggle »

For me it's different. I agree that the game is a bit more laggy when you play ; but I have no problems at all for the videos. It's quite the contrary. I dont have a good hardware, and since the last version I can watch almost every 720x265 encoded videos meanwhile it was very hard before.
Kebaboni
Scoreville-User

Post by Kebaboni »

So for me it's even different story. It was sluggish for me on earlier versions, but never reported that. However now everything runs smooth. It seems like maybe some kind of driver or plugin update could be useful. Maybe check your .NET version or something. My PC for this day is average - i5, 8gb ram and radeon 6870. So I think hardware is nothing to do with it. It's all about the soft. Sometimes I face problems with other games just because of drivers. Got problem with Diablo III while freezing in some locations. Found a solution, downloaded necessary .dll files and it's all gone. So it's definitely soft problem there.
Arkintoofle
Scoreville-User

Post by Arkintoofle »

Note that I'm not getting any issues when running the game in the default window size. It's only when maximized that it gets sluggish. With the update posted in this thread, only certain videos suffer (the ones with a high resolution, I suspect), and then in the form of "tearing" for the most part. I don't remember seeing this before 3.1.6.
ok666
Scoreville-User

Post by ok666 »

We changed nothing in the underlying media playing code, only game play. You could try to run the packs in the editors, they contain the bare minimum to play videos.
Arkintoofle
Scoreville-User

Post by Arkintoofle »

ok666 wrote:We changed nothing in the underlying media playing code, only game play. You could try to run the packs in the editors, they contain the bare minimum to play videos.
I already did this, but forgot to mention it. Sorry. The videos run perfectly fine in the editors, but not in the game.